Sunday, August 18, 2024

ON STANDBY

Sept 20, 2023

The day after we got the call that my dad was in the hospital.


 It was the phone call that no son or daughter ever wants to get.  My sister called to tell me that she received a call from my father’s girlfriend saying that my father was in the hospital. She didn't go into any details other than my dad was unresponsive. She called 911 and he was taken to the hospital.  I remember us both running around like crazy trying to get more information.  After two days the doctor gave us an account of how my dad was and what was (and still is) going on with him. 


Needless to say there are some major health issues going on.  Some of those issues we knew about; not by my dad's disclosure but by his then wife that always gave us the tea on my dad.  Often to the point of us saying,"I heard enough, I don't want to hear anymore."


In the past it wouldn't be uncommon for me to turn my phone off or the ringer down to avoid annoying calls from friends that didn't know when to stop calling or spam calls.  

I have come to the realization that I need to have my phone near me especially as both of my parents are becoming more vulnerable and starting to need assistance more as they age. 


The truth is my heart can't help but to skip a beat or two whenever the phone rings now.


It is not the most terrible thing but it is very much there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Read

All writings and photographs were created by Mark Greene A. K. A. Daddy Scruff and are protected by copyright unless otherwise noted. Do not use any images without consent. All men photographed were of legal age.(18+ in CA) All men appearing on this blog has given their full consent to allow Mark Greene to use their images for this blog.