Monday, March 4, 2024

JOURNEYS AROUND THE SUN

I never wanted the wrinkles   
But they are creasing   
  
I never wanted the gray hair  
But like weeds in the grass  
They grow like wildfire   
  
Aches and pains  
And I get no younger  
  
But as I take my fifty third journey  
Around the sun  
  
I unequivocally resolve   
  
Though the beauty of my youth   
Extends further and further away  
  
The fire within burns brighter   
With each new day 
  
Fifty three is not the new twenty three  
Fifty three is not the new thirty three  
  
Fifty three is fucking fifty three  
  
Fifty three is where I should be  
  
Until my next journey around the sun

4 comments:

  1. Time marches on for us all despite our best efforts to stave off the inevitable. As golden as those impetuous days of wild abandonment were and so difficult to see them pass away. Hopefully, we have found some wisdom along the way. A realization of what is really important and the knowledge only the years can bring. We're often asked if we would like to be young again, Of course, but only if I could take back all that I have learned. Without that I would have no desire to just make all the mistakes over again. There is a certain peace and clarity which lights the way now that I wouldn't trade to simply capture some fleeting youthful days. The best is yet to come if you only let it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most true and beautiful expression : The best is yet to come if you only let it. Could not have expressed it better myself. I wish more people saw life in these eyes.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you. It past awhile ago. This writing was more of a self reflection

      Delete